Sunday, April 20, 2008

Vote for Marlee, Says Her Friends at the Deaf Volleyball Tournament


Yesterday, I spent the day refereeing at the Harper Deaf Volleyball tournament. There were about 300 people there with hands flying everywhere (including a couple of cuers). This tournament brought back a lot of memories, for my first introduction to volleyball was in college, when I played for the NIU deaf team. At that time, the tournament was hosted at Waubonsee College.

I teamed up to referee with Caroline Depcik Smith, my old teammate. Caroline played in the Deaf Olympics (I was an alternate on the Olympic team and foolishly chose not to pursue that) and there were a couple of other Deaf Olympians as referees as well. We played an impromtu volleyball game before the tournament started and boy, did that make me miss playing!

David played for the Hinsdale South team and while they did well in the round robin, they lost to Illinois School for the Deaf in the tournament in the first round of playoffs.

Marlee Matlin's two best friends in the photo above, Wendy Adams and Liz Tannebaum, reminded everyone to "Vote for Marlee" in Dancing with the Stars. Marlee is also on tonight's movie, "Sweet Nothing in My Ear" on CBS. I'll be watching that with my kids tonight.

And here are my thoughts over at Disaboom: Sweet Nothing in my Ear Tackles Cochlear Implants.

No comments: