Friday, December 01, 2006

I MacGyvered the Snowblower!


This morning, we woke up to several inches of snow. The kids excitedly jumped into their snowsuits at eight in the morning and began shoveling the driveway. When I arrived outside, I was amazed at how much snow covered our cul-de-sac.

The hubby tried to start the snowblower last night to no avail. I figured I would give it a try. The primer button was all cracked, but the electric starter roared to life. The machine just wouldn't start and get going. With no way to prime it, I couldn't get the gas moving through.

"What would MacGyver do?" I muttered to myself. For those of you with no clue, MacGyver was a show in the 1980's that featured Richard Dean Anderson as a special agent who used common objects to fight crime and get himself out of tight situations. Candy bars, paper clips, gum were some of the items he used, often with just seconds to spare before disaster would happen.

So I looked at the primer button and discovered that I needed to create some kind of suction or forced air to get the gas moving. The bicycle pump! I searched all over the garage but couldn't find it. My eyes settled on the leaf blower. Nah, too powerful. I looked at the primer button again. There was a hole as wide as the end of a paper clip. A straw, I thought to myself. I can blow through a straw...

On the way to the kitchen, I suddenly realized that I had the perfect tool to use on the primer: the hearing aid tube blower.

And sure enough, one squeeze of the bulb blower and the snowblower roared to life!

8 comments:

drmzz said...

Very cool! :)

Anonymous said...

That was pretty creative! lol

Anonymous said...

mishkazena

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! You never know what tools can work! Husband would never thought of using that tool, they spent money on their steel tools and still do not know what to do with it.LOL....way to go, Karen! Woman can find their way out!
From: BJD

Debbie said...

Oooo next time I have to go on a road trip I want you with me! You Rock!!!

groovyoldlady said...

I love ingeious moments...especially when I think of these things before my hubby does!

Bully for you!!

Anonymous said...

I loved that show too! Good job! Pat on the back time...grin...

Unknown said...

Haha! These machines are necessity! :-) My snow-blower won't run after I replaced new spark-plug. Manual pulley system wont run, electric starter won't make machine to run. I thought, it won't be possible to get it started, but why not. I decided to electric start and pull the pulley at the same time. To my surprise, it did the trick!