Monday, May 21, 2007

Deaf Swimmer Makes a Splash



Will Landgren is in the pool for two hours each day, swimming laps and practicing his turns six days a week. In August, Will be competing in the World Deaf Swimming Championships in Taiwan.

"Baseball is my favorite sport," says Will, "But swimming is a close second."

During the summer, Will has practice each day, two hours in the morning and two hours in the evening.

Will is profoundly deaf and cannot hear the starting gun. "I use a light strobe," Will explains. "I have an interpreter at practice so I can talk to my teammates and find out what the coach is saying. Sometimes I talk to the other swimmers myself with my voice."

Each swimmer has to raise funds for the trip to Taiwan. To support Will at the competition, his local team has set up an online fundraiser to help Will gather the six thousand dollars he will need to participate. To donate funds for Will, visit: Palatine Park District Tigersharks Swim Team.

4 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

The best of luck Will! Mabuhay! www.anitokid.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Best of Luck!!!I am cheering for you. Please keep us posted on your times and qualification. I love to hear a good swim story.

From an ASL Swimmer \^^/

Kathy, pls keep us update. :)

Anonymous said...

im a swimmer too and im proud of you! good luck in tiawan!

Anonymous said...

i love you baby
you did great
keep it up