Monday, January 15, 2007

Flylady Would Be So Proud

It's a new year and with every new year, I'm always determined to make some positive changes. I always have the same vows: I will take control of the messes in my house, learn to effectively use my time and sculpt my body in the likeness of Christie Brinkley's.

The same resolutions keep popping up year after year. I guess I'm not very effective at accomplishing them. However, the Putz household experienced a rare phenomenon recently. Take a look:


Yes, I managed to discover the bottom of the sink. It was a startling sight to see it empty. One of the tips at Flylady.com is to accomplish this very feat each day. The idea is that you will clean your sink, go to bed with a sense of accomplishment and wake up the next morning with a shining sink.

Ah, but I overlooked some very critical information in her Babysteps suggestion about the sink: you have to train everyone else in the household to embrace shiny sinks.

I forgot to notify everyone else in the Putz household of the importance of shiny sinks. Silly me.

So I woke up to half of the contents of my kitchen cabinets piled in the sink, courtesy of five kids and a 22-year old niece.

And it's only 8:30 a.m.

Let the training begin.

4 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

I'm pretty good at emptying the sink, but the drainboard is another matter entirely!

In His Image
October 2005
Sherry Grunder

The creative hand of God
molds the craggy peaks;
jagged beauty against the sky.

Rocks and pines,
snow patches and streams,
views and vistas.

Summits wading through the the clouds
beautiful and perilous tribute to its Maker.

“So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him.”

My hands are creative too,
creating multicolored mountains in the dish drainer.

Cups and plates,
bowls and lids,
pots and pans.

Summits brushing the cupboards above
bountiful and perilous tribute to ITS maker.

Sandy said...

You know, I have never understood how Flylady is able to make this happen- I'm pretty sure she doesn't have 5 kids and runs a half-load behind on the dishwasher at any given time :-) But I've discovered that my "sink" is either the kitchen table or the bar in the kitchen... if I can get one of those (preferably both!) clean, I feel such a sense of accomplishment! But of course, everything from the table and the bar end up in... the sink!

kkurt said...

I teach my kids (13y/son & 6y/girl)to pick up after themselves, set the table, help me dry/wash dishes. My sink is empty almost every night. I don't care how "busy" my kids are, they are obligated to doing regular household chores. My son learned last summer cleaning the toliet was NASTY, now he tries to pee neater. Hey, every little "tip" my kids learn, they learn it GOOD. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, My wonderful lady had 5 kids herself (now grown). I'll have to ask her if she was ever able to establish a "shiny sink" attitude in her household.