Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Quick Vacation and Back to Reality


This past weekend was a whirlwind of activity. On Friday night, David's friend Aubrey stayed overnight and I drove the two of them to a local junior high to meet up with their dodgeball teammates for the day. June Prusak, the youth director at Chicago Hearing Society was driving the team up north. Fourteen deaf and hard of hearing kids were entered in a tournament at the Schaumburg Park District.

The kids had a blast at the tournament and David headed home with another friend for a sleepover. I was busy packing up a suitcase for our trip to the Dells. My neighbor Barb came over with her kids and we ordered some lunch.

On Sunday morning, we picked up David and took off for Wisconsin. The trip is an annual tradition for me and my friend Sue and our families. Sue and I met at Northern Illinois University. We became roommates and close friends, sharing pregnancies together and raising deaf and hard of hearing kids. Our kids are close friends as well. Sue has five kids (two step-children) and all of the kids get along great.

This year, we headed out to the Wilderness Resort. I was surprised to see how much the resort expanded from our first visit years ago. The place now has three waterparks with a variety of water rides. The adults spent time in the indoor/outdoor hot tub (with grown up drinks) while the kids roamed. This was the first year we could really kick back and let the kids take off. Such a bittersweet feeling-- to enjoy the freedom on one hand but also realize how our kids have sprouted wings too soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

My name is Twanda. I'm a student at Rochester Institute Of Technology. As an assignment for my Deaf Literature class, I have to do a presentation on a blogger who posts to DeafRead. If you don't mind I would like to conduct my research on you. As part of the assignment I have to collect personal information from you. I would need to know:

1. Background information on the writer or signer
A. Date and place of birth

B. Cause and onset of deafness

C. School(s) attended/graduated from

D. Method of communication/education

E. Influences on choice of career/life's work/special interest

If you do not mind sharing this information with me, my e-mail address is tss5129@rit.edu

I would have emailed this request to you, but I did not see an email address to contact you.

Thank you kindly,
Twanda