Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Hello!


Welcome to my little spot on cyberspace! I'm Karen, and I'm married to Joe and we have three kids who are deaf and hard of hearing. Joe and I are deaf. David, Lauren and Steven are the light of my life. Oh yeah, the hubby too.

I work in early intervention as a Deaf Mentor, helping families with babies who are deaf or hard of hearing. A lot of my work involves teaching sign language to families and various ways of communicating with children who are deaf/hard of hearing. It's a fun job-- I get to play with babies and then go home! I teach a course called "Conversational Sign Language" at a local community college. I also substitute teach in the elementary and middle schools when I can.

I am the Chairperson of
Illinois Hands & Voices, a state chapter of Hands & Voices National. I am also a board member of Hands & Voices and I contribute articles to the quarterly newsletter. I joined Hands & Voices because it is a parent-driven organization that believes "What works for your child is what makes the choice right." Hands & Voices works to bring families together regardless of communication mode.

Looking forward to making this blog a fun place to be!





No comments: